comic sans



I changed my font at thecutestblogontheblock.com

3D%22 http%

Saturday, February 6, 2010

Comfort food day! Homemade Chicken Pot Pie

This is a cold, snowy Saturday and it was just screaming something hot & yummy to eat.  Chicken Pot Pie sounded great, but I wasn't sure I had the ingredients in the house, and I didn't want to go get anything.  So, time to start digging - found chicken breasts, vegs, etc., but that would mean I'd have to make my own crust!  That sounded a bit overwhelming, but I thought "I can do this"!
                                                       Simple pot pie ingredients: 
3 large chicken breasts
1 small bag of frozen mixed vegs
1 can Healthy Request cream of chicken soup
1 stick of butter or margarine
1 onion-chopped
1 stalk of celery (I didn't have this!)
1 tsp salt


 Pie crust:  
3/4 cup of Crisco
 2 cups of all purpose flour
 4-8 T ice cold water
Put the chicken breasts in a 3 qt pot of boiling water while you start the crust. Use a pastry blender to cut crisco into flour until it is a "mealy" consistency.

Add cold water 4T at a time until the crust will ball.  Separate into 2 balls.  Flaten into discs and wrap in plastic wrap and put in the refrigerator to chill.
While the crust chills, and the chicken is boiling, chop onion & celery.  When chicken is done, drain & put aside to cool.  Use the same pot to mix the filling.  Put butter or margarine in the pot, when melted, add onions & celery.  Then add cream of chicken soup.  When all is blended and heated through, add chopped chicken breasts. 

Take pie crusts out and roll each one into 9" round.  Spray 9" glass pie dish and add 1st crust.  Add pot pie filling.    Top with second crust.
Bake @  375 degrees for 30-45 minutes.

So yummy on this cold, snowy day!  Enjoy!








color with love,
joyce

2 comments:

  1. Hi Joyce, I just spoke with my MIL on the phone, and she was making a chicken pot pie, too! Must be a good winter comfort food! ...and a very delicious one, too! :)

    Love the name of your blog, very cute and original! ...and Thanks for stopping by mine for a visit and sweet comment! ~Rhonda

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Joyce! Thanks for stopping my blog. Your posts are yummy and creative too!

    The crocheted hearts a so cute!

    ReplyDelete